Monday, April 03, 2006

Break through

I've been so stuck on this capstone paper for a while now, and finally on Sunday I had a break through and was able to finalize my indicators and write up my questions for my interviews I need to do. I was then able to update and improve my intro section. Next is to finish the methodology section and then finalize the last parts of the literature review. I should be able to have all this done by Monday night. Hopefully I'll be able to do well collecting all my data this week and start writing all that up next weekend. So, I have had a few people ask me what the heck this "capstone" is. Sorry...I'm working on my master's degree in public administration, and this is my final semester (graduation is may 13). The capstone is a research paper, like a thesis. A thesis is more theoretical or researches something more theoretical, whereas the capstone is a little more of an applied problem. For example, my paper is about how to improve alumnae involvement in fraternal type organizations. There are several parts to this paper, and each "section" is due along the way to help keep us on track, but we continually revise and modify earlier sections as we go. I've been behind on my literature review (where we research what other writings and studies are out there on our topic) for a while, and it is a major part of setting up the research. It's what gives the purpose and hypothesis some backing. Anway...this week I'm supposed to have my findings (my data collection) completed. I'm supposed to have a full paper draft done by April 12, but I doubt anyone in my capstone class will have that done. (We actually do have a class that we meet occassionally to discuss our progress and the professor provides guidance for each section, and then other weeks we meet individually with him). When we're done we present our papers in front of any professors from the college of arts and humanities and any students in our program that come. It's sort of like defending our research and findings. Anyway, that is May 1, 2 and 3. So that's my REAL deadline. I then have a week if needed to tweek and make any final edits.

On to other stuff.....
Alyssa cut her hair again - this is the third time now, the second time was a couple weeks ago at school again. When I asked her why, both this time and last she told me she wants it shorter. I'm so sad by this, and hope it's just an excuse, but she continues to insist that she wants it cut to shoulder length. She said she's tired of the knots and wants it like her best friend's. Her best friend though has curly hair, so I tried to explain it won't look the same for her since her hair is very straight, and I tried to explain if she cuts it, it will take a long time to grow that long again if she changes her mind. I told her she needs to be sure this is what she wants. I love her hair, but I don't want to force her to have to keep it a way she doesn't want it. I just don't think at 6 she really understands or comprehends this yet. I can understand though why she is tired of it...it is a lot to maintain (I actually used to have very long hair too - I'll have to post pictures below), and her hair is much like mine in that it tangles easily. It's always so windy here that she has to always keep it in a poneytail or braid to keep the tangles at a minimum..plus it does get really hot in the summer time to have all that hair and she's complained about that too. Man I'm so torn on this! I wish she could just give it another year or so to really understand, though if she has legit complaints, she may really understand. Another bonus for her to cut it would be that she may actually be able to wash and comb it herself. She can't manage it now by herself and she really wants to. Her arms just aren't long enough and she's not coordinated enough yet to reach all of it to wash or brush it out. ha ahhhhh


BEFORE AFTER
This was me in April 2002 before and after my hair cut. I had grown it out long in part to donate to Locks of Love, and after 2 years I was ready to reduce the weight on my head. :-)

Still no further updates on jobs, though Eric applied for several more jobs Sunday online, and we did talk about some options that would allow us to stay in TX - but all of them pretty much mean I would HAVE to go back to work full time for us to do it. We are reconsidering one of the companies he had immediately crossed off the list after the interviews. He had crossed them off because they don't tell you where you're going until after you accept and are half way through the training (so it would be mid to the end of June before we'd know). They do have the best compensation and benefits though and will let him choose 3 regions he'd like to go to, and then they select a major city or metro area to send him to in one of those regions. This would at least give us a bigger city, not a small town with little job opportunities for me. Plus it would only be most likely for a few years, and then we could probably move anywhere...he's going to call them back to find out a few more things before he considers them, but they've already invited them to the second round of interviews (he'd have to go to CT for 3 days next week, and then they will make their offers by the 19th). There are a few other downers to this, but well, we'll see after he talks to them again.

I made another freebie for an SBB chat- this time for the Monday morning subscribers chat with Lisa. I love Lisa - she is such a sweetie! I was having withdrawals since I hadn't spoken to her on hello all day yesterday and most of this morning! haha Love you Lisa! I hope I can go to that digi scrapbook thing in Chicago and meet her and all of my other online friends. :-) Anyone else planning to go to that? I suppose I would need to find some roommates or something if I do go.

Ok anway..here's the preview for the freebie at Lisa's Mon morn subscriber chat (a coordinating set will be for the Saturday moonlight).


It's getting awefully late now, so I better get a bit more work done on the capstone paper and get to bed. I have to be alert to start making calls in the morning. Happy Monday!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home